Warmachine, Warhammer 40k, & Terrain Projects

Legio Titanicus

Pinning the shoulders of a Reaver Titan

Reaver Titan shoulders being glued

Here are the steps I took to pin the shoulders of a reaver titan…

  1. I used JB-Weld epoxy  to first glue to shoulders to the main body of the reaver titan. Because the shoulders will be subject to leveraged weight of the weapon arms, I wanted this to be as strong of a bond as possible, so I roughed up the surface of the weld on both the body and the shoulder pieces with the hobby knife, and used the ‘full strength’ JB-Weld (instead of the JQ-Quick). When using full strength, you have to let it cure overnight… and to ensure that nothing shifted during curing I clamped the heck out of each shoulder.
    Reaver Titan shoulders being glued

    (more…)


Magnetizing the weapon arms on a ForgeWorld Reaver Titan

After dropping the ridiculous amount of money for expertly cast resin parts from the UK… aka a VERY expensive pile of plastic… and spending weeks upon weeks of building and painting it, I don’t want to take it to my first game and regret my choice of hard mounted weapons!

Sooo… I bought all the available Imperial weapons, and decided to magnetize the shoulders of the reaver and each of the weapon arms. The challenge is that the Power Fist has a ‘flat’ interface to the shoulder socket where the other three arms have a ‘ball’ interface to the shoulder socket, so I had to essentially make the weapon/shoulder interface the same for all weapons.

To do this, I made the ‘ball’ weapon interface ‘flat’ and used the cut tops of the arms to hold the magnet in exactly the right place in the shoulder. Hopefully this diagram explains (the square rectangles within the named parts are where the magnets sit).

(more…)


Chroming the Reaver Titan pistons

reaver titan pistons chromed
  1. The very first step was to smooth the pistons surface as much as possible. The Alclad 2 highly metallic paints are SO shiny that every imperfection in the surface shows clearly. So… I used a Dremel and a fine grit abrasive buff.
  2. As a test, to ensure I have good paint adhesion and am okay with the texture of the Duplicolor sandable primer, I primed the 16 toe pistons of the reaver titan. Because I want ‘resin->resin’ bonds when I glue the pistons in, the first step was to use adhesive putty (aka poster putty or blu tack) to cover the portions of the pistons that will glue in.
    Priming the reaver with Duplicolor sandable auto primer

    (more…)


Cleaning the ForgeWorld Reaver Titan

Before construction can begin in earnest, each of thousands of individual components (311) must be meticulously cleaned… a laborious effort directed by tech priests and carried out by menials and servitors… who literally go over each part with a toothbrush.

  1. The first step is to pop off the gates, cutting away from the model to avoid damage. This allows good access by the brush while scrubbing. I’m keeping all the extra resin, as I’ll use it to test primer adhesion and paint colors, test drill holes for magnets, and eventually use it as rubble in terrain. 90% of the gates can/should be cut with sprue cutters, and few large gates (like on the main body) require a razor saw.
  2. I then let the parts soak in hot soapy water for 5 minutes (not scalding, as I don’t want to deform the resin).
  3. After a bit of a soak, for the larger parts I loaded up a relatively stiff brush with dish soap and water and scrub away. The goal is to get the mold release off the resin, and having dealt with paint adhesion on resin issues before, I don’t half ass this part. For the smaller pieces I use a toothbrush, and am VERY careful to not loose track of any small pieces. I typically take an inventory after the scrub down to make sure nothing is missing.
    Scrubbing mold release off reaver titan parts

    (more…)


Reaver Titan inventory and inquisition

The tech-priest logis of the San Diego Collegia Titanica Manufactorium took a full accounting of the latest project, Reaver Titan 1108 (to be named upon commission).

A detailed catalog of each of the 311 sub-assemblies (a.k.a. resin parts) was created.

  • Body: 214 sub-assemblies
  • Apocalypse Missile launcher: 23 sub-assemblies
  • Laser Blaster: 11 sub-assemblies
  • Gatling Blaster: 12 sub-assemblies
  • Melta Cannon: 9 sub-assemblies
  • Powerfist: 42 sub-assemblies

A vox-print of the major leg sub-assemblies:

Reaver titan parts

As with any large scale project, several defects were found, and must be addressed before production starts.

The tech priest assigned to Tital 1108 was himself warped by the forces of chaos!
Miscast reaver titan tech priest

Next we see a warped piston attached to a partially completed knee sub-assembly.
Warped reaver titan knee piston

And finally we see the beginnings of nurgle rot trying to corrupt the cockpit of the reaver itself! EXPUNGE!!!! Probably initiated by the corrupted tech priest in transit from the forges of Mars (a.k.a. Nottingham, UK) to the San Diego Manufactorium. Because the cockpit must be sanctified, and because of the central and delicate location of the nurgle rot, the entire cockpit must be EXPUNGED and a new cockpit ordered from Mars.
Slight miscast, hard to clearly remove mold leak on the reaver titan head/cockpit

Overall, 308 of the 311 sub-assemblies were blessed by the Logis for a 99.03537% purity rate. Well done ForgeWorld Mars/Nottingham,UK!


Reaver Titan Decree!

The fabricator General has decreed that my army may develop the might of a reaver titan. The Adeptus Mechanicus are cowering in inspired awe at the intersteller cargo container that arrived via UPS at my doorstep yesterday from Nottingham, UK.

So…much…resin. While intimidated, the will is strong and the project will commence!

Titan #1108 shall become infamous to the enemies of the empire and mankind!

The Fabricator General has decreed that your army may develop the might of a reaver titan