I just finished airbrushing the atmospheric ‘burn’ on the two ForgeWorld Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pods tonight. It’s difficult to tell from the picture because the standard drop pod isn’t there for size reference…but they are huge!
Excuses: I didn’t have a large enough back-drop to show one closed and one expanded like i’d like…and just moved my little light-box photo studio and don’t have the lighting like I like it yet… so I’m not supra happy with the pictures but am very happy with the models themselves.
- The main external metallic is Alclad II golden titanium over gloss black.
- The internal metallic is Alcad II steel with some dry-brushed mithril silver highlights.
- The red is Createx Wicked Crimson over primer gray and black shadows.
- The atmospheric burn is Alclad II jet exhaust.
- Throw in a few Reaper MSP paints on the details and that’s it!
Finally finished up a land raider redeemer today. Of course photographed with a macro lens I see all kinds of things I want to change. :/
I had primed it and painted the base red shade months ago… and in the time it had set the front doors ‘froze’ in place. When I forced the door open the plastic hinge actually twisted off. So… I had to drill it out and replace it with a brass rod. Unfortunately, it doesn’t completely close now.
I also switched to a different color scheme for the forgeworld land raider doors… went to ‘black’ wings and I’m really happy with how they turned out. I could do more work on the comms relay metallic, the ‘burn metal’ on the flamer sponsors… Generally I’m happy with it and will move on to my next projects (2x Lucius pattern drop pods, a whirlwind, assault terminators, 2x Warmachine Hunters, Astorath the grim…ug, have too many projects going on right now!)
Finished my first Warhammer 40k Rhino and learned a lot.
- I didn’t lay down enough water/micro-sol when placing the decals, and got some air-bubbles.
- Airbrushing Reaper ‘basic dirt’ created a low-key ‘less is more’ weathering effect that I liked
- Applying the Vallejo pigments was dramatic. I like the affect, but it’s a bit much
- I like the citadel boltgun metal edge highlighting. The GW site shows an orange edge highlight, might try that out but am happy with the metallic edges.
- Airbrushing the black exhaust stains came out nicely and was quick/easy
- After the priming & airbrushed base color/highlight, it took me about 7-8 hours to complete the Rhino this first time