Warmachine, Warhammer 40k, & Terrain Projects

Warlord Titan Assembly – Magnetizing the Torso

For magnetizing this beast, I went with much larger magnets than the Reaver.

So far, I’ve purchased 3/4″ diameter by 3/8″ thick neodymium magnets. These puppies have a pull force of around 24 pounds when it’s magnet to magnet.

I purchased magnets for four different joints

• Legs -> Torso
  • Right shoulder -> Arm
  • Left shoulder -> Arm
  • Head -> Body

warlord titan magnets

Here I’m using a 3/4″ Forstner bit to drill the hole for the lower magnet.

warlord titan drilling hip magnet hole

After the main hole is drilled, drill a few holes for the excess JBWeld epoxy to squirt out through. This means you can coat the hole liberally with JBWeld for good coverage, and then push down the magnet until it’s flush, and an excess JBWeld will push out through the tiny holes.

warlord titan relief holes

I also drilled through the top plate (bottom of the torso). It’s not 3/8″ thick, so I ended up drilling clean through (not pictured).

Here you can see the fully glued in leg/hip magnet

warlord titan hip magnet bottom

And the fully glued in torso magnet.

warlord titan hip magnet top

Because the torso plate was thinner than the magnet itself, I dumped quite a bit of JBWeld on top of the magnet to create plenty of support for the torso magnet so it doesn’t pull out when assembling/disassembling the torso from the legs. The fun thing about JBWeld is that it’s metallic & ferrous, so the magnet actually pulls the JBWeld towards it! I just kept adding JBWeld until it created a nice thick ‘cap’ around the top of the magnet.

warlord titan hip magnet top inside

So far (about a week, and probably 100 torso/leg attaches and detaches, both magnets are still 100% secure… so I don’t anticipate a risk of the magnets coming loose from the resin due to the strong 24 pound pull force.

8 responses

1. Great job as usual! I’m enjoying following this project. Thanks for sharing it!

October 4, 2015 at 10:36 am

2. David McIntire

I bought some of the same magnets as you used. You don’t think the pull force is too much? I’m just worried about damage when I go to separate them.

August 11, 2016 at 4:39 pm

• The magnets at that size are perfect for the weapon arms and torso, but a bit much for the head/cockpit and you could go smaller there. In any case I’ve attached/separated many times with no issues.

August 11, 2016 at 5:36 pm

3. Jason

Which JB weld did you use for your build? Trying to get all my supplies in hand before my forgeworld order arrives and there are SOO many JB weld options.

thanks in advance!

October 25, 2016 at 10:01 am

• I used original JBWeld for any joint that could be safely clamped in place and to provide backing for my magnets: https://amzn.com/B000ALG8LO

I used JBQuick for anything that was hard to clamp, and I just manually held the pieces in for ~5 minutes until the initial cure set in: https://amzn.com/B005UYVIXO

Unless you get a really ‘square’ clamp, use JBQuick, it’s almost as strong, and there’s nothing worse than a clamp ‘slipping’ overnight, and you wake up to a permanently crooked piece, which happened on one of my leg pistons. I wish I had just used JBQuick on those pieces!

I buy the ‘industrial size’ tubes, as they $14-$15 bucks each. That way I can mix a little extra and not worry about a little waste, then running out of epoxy as I wait for another order of the little tubes from Amazon.

October 25, 2016 at 10:37 am

• Jason

Thanks for the quick response!

So you ended up using JB steel then and not JB plasticweld? Another Warlord build i was reading up on appeared to use JB plasticweld but i saw yours talking about it being ferrous and magnetic

October 25, 2016 at 10:45 am

• Yeah, I used the standard ‘steel’ type which is ferrous and does react to the magnets. If you look at the torso magnet (from the chest/torso section, not the legs) you’ll see that it worked out nicely. I just poured mixed JBweld on the magnet and the magnet pulled the JBWeld into a nice, even blob around itself.

I’ve never tried the plastic weld… not sure how it binds to forge world resin. Looking online at least one other build used it so I’m guessing it’s fine.

October 25, 2016 at 4:24 pm

4. jason

Gotcha, thanks again. This guide will be a big help during my build

October 28, 2016 at 5:19 am